News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Chain Tension Adjustment

Started by Guyster, June 15, 2021, 08:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

graefjon

Has anyone considered shortening the chain and removing the chain tensioner altogether? I just broke my second chain tensioner.

wtfg

RadJohn

Quote from: graefjon on August 25, 2021, 07:18:10 PM
Has anyone considered shortening the chain and removing the chain tensioner altogether?...

There are single speed, fixie and geared hub bicycles out there that don't use chain tensioners, BUT virtually all have horizontal dropouts, which allow the back wheel to be moved to set the initial chain tension, then periodically moved rearward to take up slack as the chain wears. Those who find having to adjust their mechanical disk brakes periodically a major PITA, will hate having to do this too.

I don't have a Mission but it looks to me like they have vertical dropouts (like most bikes), which won't allow the wheel position to be adjusted to compensate for chain wear so a chain tensioner or a rear derailleur (with a cage) must be used  to deal with the problem of the chain getting longer as it wears, and this approach offers another major benefit in that no periodic manual adjustments are required as the chain wears.

There are reliable chain tensioners out there, I've got thousands of miles on my tensioner equipped Rohloff geared hub bikes with zero problems (don't know if their XC can be adapted to fit a Mission): http://www.modernbike.com/product-2126250919

wtfg

16 days later I received my replacement , sad thing is its the same part as the original
So i don't have much faith that it will last !!
I will do my screw mod to it, so if the pin brakes it still will get me home.