Author Topic: Setting maximum speed  (Read 19326 times)

Freerk van Oudheusden

• View Profile
Setting maximum speed
« on: June 14, 2021, 11:34:11 PM »
Hi, I have my Radmission for a week now. Enjoying it! But as it seems, maximum speed is set to a maximum of 23 km/h. Very annoying.
Does anyone know how to change the max. speed to 25 km/h (or rather a bit higher, let’s say 28 km/h)?
I have the rather simple control (no LCD) on my Radmission.

Guyster

• View Profile
Re: Setting maximum speed
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 08:59:26 AM »
20 MPH (32KMH) is the published top speed for this Class 2 bicycle. My understanding is that the controller stops providing PAS at 20MPH (32KMH). Here's a bypass for the Rad Runner, if we're assuming it's the same hack for both models:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BDSllZzRYA
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 10:31:09 AM by Guyster »

Jman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 09:03:23 AM »
If it is like the Rad Runner, you can cover 1 pin in the power connector to disable speed sensing and allowing a bit higher max speed.

wtfg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 03:22:28 PM »
The LCD controller will bump it up to 25MPH

Ballekes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 12:43:22 PM »
Indeed very annoying. Mine goes 23.7 km/h on a Garmin Edge with a calibrated speed sensor.

The monochrome LCD from Rad Power Bikes is not really an option for me. To expensive for a basic monochrome display. And to clumsy.

If you live in the UK your best option would be the Eggrider V2 I suppose. Make sure you purchase one especially for the RadMission.
Importing it in the EU (and probably also elsewhere) is costly and will probably take months. It will have to pass customs where packages are piling up because of Brexit.

If anyone knows of a EU shop selling the Eggrider for the RadMisson please share  :)

wtfg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 01:19:48 PM »
I have a lcd on eBay for cheap that has 350 miles on it.

DickB

• View Profile
    • carveshop.com
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 06:41:21 AM »
Indeed very annoying. Mine goes 23.7 km/h on a Garmin Edge with a calibrated speed sensor.

The monochrome LCD from Rad Power Bikes is not really an option for me. To expensive for a basic monochrome display. And to clumsy.

If you live in the UK your best option would be the Eggrider V2 I suppose. Make sure you purchase one especially for the RadMission.
Importing it in the EU (and probably also elsewhere) is costly and will probably take months. It will have to pass customs where packages are piling up because of Brexit.

If anyone knows of a EU shop selling the Eggrider for the RadMisson please share  :)
Eggrider advertises free shipping worldwide.

Broclee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 06:00:22 PM »
I recently purchased a mission ordered the LCD with the bike just to get the 25mph option (40KMH). it definitely helps but the bike really needs more amps it cant climb hills well at all. I have a taller single speed rear freewheel on the way going to try that out if that doesn't help the bike may get swapped to a 26in setup with bigger controller and larger motor. If our new house wasn't in the hills this bike would be perfect but "unfortunately"  ;) ;) I am going to have to do some Mods lol.

-Broclee

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 04:59:23 AM »

Big Game Bikes sell the Eggrider.

synthesizerman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 08:52:42 PM »
$100 is a lot for that display upgrade. I personally prefer the minimal design of the controller that comes with the Mission, but I would be willing to upgrade for higher top speed. There seems to be some back and forth between the modding community and Rad about making the bikes go faster.

I read online that some of the 'hacks' for the rad runner are no long effective. So I wanted to know if purchasing the upgraded display would allow me to increase the top speed to 25mph, or if that exploit had been removed.

I reached out to rad and asked...

I've read online that upgrading to the LCD display on the radmission will allow me to increase the max speed of the pedal assist to 25mph. Is that true? is this considered a 'Hack'. I didn't see it mentioned on the LCD display upgrade page.

They respond with this...

Thanks for your email about upgrading your display. Unfortunately we do not recommend changing your Max Speed to above 20MPH or 32 KMH as the bikes are designed with this speed in mind.
On the upgraded LCD you are able to check your top speed in settings and the display has many great features like an odometer, speedometer and backlighting

So, they didn't really answer my question. I would have appreciated an answer like, 'yeah, you can, but we don't recommend it'.

STARFLYER

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 05:23:59 PM »

I read online that some of the 'hacks' for the rad runner are no long effective. So I wanted to know if purchasing the upgraded display would allow me to increase the top speed to 25mph, or if that exploit had been removed.

I reached out to rad and asked...

I've read online that upgrading to the LCD display on the radmission will allow me to increase the max speed of the pedal assist to 25mph. Is that true? is this considered a 'Hack'. I didn't see it mentioned on the LCD display upgrade page.

They respond with this...

Thanks for your email about upgrading your display. Unfortunately we do not recommend changing your Max Speed to above 20MPH or 32 KMH as the bikes are designed with this speed in mind.
On the upgraded LCD you are able to check your top speed in settings and the display has many great features like an odometer, speedometer and backlighting

If you're looking to ride up to 25 MPH WITHOUT pedaling, I think it wouldn't be worth the effort with the "fix gearing".  Even at 20 MPH,  it's necessary to crank the pedals way too fast above 15-20 MPH.  What the Rad Mission really needs is a over drive gear so that the pedals don't have to be cranks so fast.  However, with just a higher overall gear, you would lose some of the ability to pedal with the assist turned off.  I generally ride my Mission on level ground at 10-12 MPH WITHOUT pedal assist.  With a higher rear wheel gearing, I would lose non pedal assist riding that would shorten overall range. 

And then it would need a derailleur which would add to the weight. The Mission is a great city bike though IMO.   Love mine with now around 750 miles on it.

synthesizerman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 01:34:55 PM »

If you're looking to ride up to 25 MPH WITHOUT pedaling, I think it wouldn't be worth the effort with the "fix gearing".  Even at 20 MPH,  it's necessary to crank the pedals way too fast above 15-20 MPH.  What the Rad Mission really needs is a over drive gear so that the pedals don't have to be cranks so fast.  However, with just a higher overall gear, you would lose some of the ability to pedal with the assist turned off.  I generally ride my Mission on level ground at 10-12 MPH WITHOUT pedal assist.  With a higher rear wheel gearing, I would lose non pedal assist riding that would shorten overall range. 

And then it would need a derailleur which would add to the weight. The Mission is a great city bike though IMO.   Love mine with now around 750 miles on it.

Its been my experience, that in pedal assist level 2, I can casually pedal and get up to 17 mph and the pedals don't feel like they are going too fast (for me). In assist level 3, it is pretty easy to pedal up to 20 mph and the pedals don't feel like they are going too fast (for me). if I work really hard, I can go up around 22 -23 mph.

I've actually kind of accepted the 20mph limitation. I used my phone as a speedometer this morning and found that, knowing I am up near 20 mph is helpful, so I don't keep pushing, because going over 20 is so much harder than going just under 20.

synthesizerman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 12:01:59 PM »
I went ahead and ordered the mission LCD upgrade.  Got it yesterday and installed it pretty quick.

The ability to increase speed was still accessible in the "secret" menu. Using assist level 3, I was able to get up to 22-23mph on a flat without that heavy feeling of when pedal assist drops out. I doubt I will really be trying to pedal faster than 20 mph though. I think it will mostly be nice that I can hover around 20 without dropping in and out of assist.

Besides that, Its really nice having the Speedometer. Seems like the watt meter will be interesting once I ride around on some hills...

Roland

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 10:47:13 AM »
Did any Rad Mission 1 owners ever install the Bolton 25 amp controller to increase the 500 watt motor to 1200 amps? Looking to know the compatibility for install on the radmission 1

Ballekes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 12:09:31 PM »

Eggrider advertises free shipping worldwide.

It will have to pass customs (expensive fees and duties). Also it will take months because packages are piling up because of Brexit.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 12:09:31 PM »