News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Commute Clothes

Started by okobojicat, October 18, 2021, 09:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

okobojicat

What are you all wearing on your commutes?
We've hit the rainy season here in the PNW and its discouraging me from getting on the bike. I have a 10-12 mile commute (one way) mainly on roads competing with 18-wheelers and other non bike friendly individuals.
On my old analog bike, I was decked out in rain gear and clip on shoes with toe covers or full shoe covers.
But with my Radwagon, I am unsure what to wear on my feet. I have been wearing some running shoes, but that is not going to stay dry. Also, my normal rain gear is designed to breath as I'm working hard, but obviously I'm working less hard on the new bike.  So, sometimes I'm cold, and sometimes excessively warm. Part of getting the bike was to reduce the amount of changing clothes I had to do at work, but that does not appear to be working out.
So, what are you wearing? Feet wise? Clothing wise?
What have you tried that was a complete disaster?

JimInPT

Sorry I can't specifically help out, because I don't ride in rain or snow, but your situation is what pops to mind every time I see an e-bike, or any bike for that matter, touted as a "practical car replacement".

I'm on mine all the time in decent weather, for fun, exploring, exercise or running errands, but I'm keeping my SUV.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Rickyboy

Quote from: JimInPT on October 18, 2021, 11:14:37 AM
Sorry I can't specifically help out, because I don't ride in rain or snow, but your situation is what pops to mind every time I see an e-bike, or any bike for that matter, touted as a "practical car replacement".

I'm on mine all the time in decent weather, for fun, exploring, exercise or running errands, but I'm keeping my SUV.

I'm going to be in much the same situation as you in not too long. I'm in the south Cariboo region of BC where there's "real" winter. But down on the coast, not so much. I have a snowmobile jacket shell that I use to wear long underwear under and maybe a lite sweater with sleeves. I was NEVER cold even in -25* C temps.. But I was always working hard at sidehilling, and in{10 -12 ft} DEEP]snow in the alpine, rarely sitting. It's a work out. You don't want to get stuck..Lol. anyway I digress,...  So I was thinking that I might try the "shell" and see how that works for me. There are numerous vents, it's light in weight, the zippers are sealed , it's water and wind proof. I won't be commuting to work as I'm retired and plan on using the RR 6 for exercise and as an alternative to the car sometimes.   I have a friend that rides up here 3 seasons of the year and I'll check with him to see what he wears. Ive seen him with what looks like a lite jacket with sealed vents and zippers. He buys the best of everything though so what he wears probably isn't cheap.  I'll let you know.

okobojicat

Well, today was the first rainy commute. Wasn't a hard rain, but it had rained all night. Lots more standing water in the bike lanes along the busy 6 lane street. So, pretty wet feet. The bike rain jacket I have doesn't breath very well, but it was cold this morning so that was fine. Ski mask was a great late addition keeping the face dry and warm. And doubled up on the gloves. Excellent choice there.

So, cold wet feet, and very wet socks. Hoping they'll dry by the time I head home.

Any specific recommendation for water proof shoes that will work on normal flat platform pedals?

ericwn

I have so far only been caught in a heavy downpour once with our wagon and I hope I don't repeat it. Looking at the overall quality of the connector pieces and seeing the marks from the splash water once I removed the battery I doubt this bike would withstand very wet conditions for extended periods.

I'm not sure if other ebikes are much different in that regard, at least at this price level. I'll focus on riding in better weather - and if the kids are on-board probably temperatures above 10 degrees centigrade.

Altema

The water resistant shoes I wear all year round are Dr. Scholl's Men's Harrington II Work Shoe. They are are normal height shoes, but have kept my feet dry except for the time I rode in a heavy rain storm for several miles.

My upper attire is probably unusual, but I wear an Old Navy hooded pullover which can button up to my chin, and on top of that I wear a waterproof windbreaker which has a mesh layer inside, plus a hidden hood inside the collar. When the temperature is below 60°F, I wear a Yema 3/4 motorcycle helmet with a full face shield and fog liner, so I never bother with a rain hood. However, I would not wear it to work because of "helmet hair"!