News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

I need some help in customizing RadWagon 4

Started by Avram, October 22, 2021, 12:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Avram

Hi all,
In my visit to Vancouver last week I came across the RadWagon you can see in the attached pic and realized it is the perfect solution to many of my problems. I live in UK so have limited access to rad products, and I can't figure out if all the extras that makes this bike perfect for my twins can be purchased, or can it only be done diy? Thanks in advance for any information.

Altema

The front rack, running boards, and the child protection rails (caboose) are from Rad, but the rear seat pads and backrests are aftermarket. They can be ordered from Amazon.com, but I should warn you the pads are hard and the mounting braces are not very strong. I don't believe Walmart is in the UK, but the second link below is a better seat which I use for our 10 year old. You may be able to find something similar.

https://amzn.to/3CjdUnM

https://goto.walmart.com/c/2586673/565706/9383?veh=aff&sourceid=imp_000011112222333344&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.walmart.com%2Fip%2FBike-Rear-Seat-Kid-Bicycle-Bike-Rear-Handrail-Armrest-Child-Carrier-Bike-Back-Se%2F821649534

Avram

Thank you for the helpful information. I now realize that these seats will not fit for my 3.5 YO twins because they lack any safety harness. I'll probably have to use two Thule Yepp Maxi Child Seats as recommended by Rad, until they'll grow up enough to seat safely without harness.

ericwn

It's worth noting that the bike in the picture is not a Radwagon 4 but an older model.

The Yepp seats are pretty great, very easy to mount, easy to use and add a tiny bit of cushioning for the little ones.
I ride mostly on rural roads in Ontario and the ride is stiff - avoid bumpy roads if you like your children to enjoy the ride.

I have also added the running boards and the caboose - both offer a bit of additional space around your kids as an added safety benefit. I recently was forced to have an emergency stop where the bike slid partially into a ditch and leaned sideways. Had it fallen completely to the side my boy would still not have touched the ground thanks to the boards and caboose.

I also bought a suspension seat post and the cloud 9 saddle (with extra springs) to cushion the ride a bit further.

Do note that the tyre tubes may not be in stock and are a custom Rad size - maybe invest in the Tannus tyre protection or order a spare set just in case.

Altema

Quote from: ericwn on October 23, 2021, 11:48:21 AM
It's worth noting that the bike in the picture is not a Radwagon 4 but an older model.

The Yepp seats are pretty great, very easy to mount, easy to use and add a tiny bit of cushioning for the little ones.
I ride mostly on rural roads in Ontario and the ride is stiff - avoid bumpy roads if you like your children to enjoy the ride.

I have also added the running boards and the caboose - both offer a bit of additional space around your kids as an added safety benefit. I recently was forced to have an emergency stop where the bike slid partially into a ditch and leaned sideways. Had it fallen completely to the side my boy would still not have touched the ground thanks to the boards and caboose.

I also bought a suspension seat post and the cloud 9 saddle (with extra springs) to cushion the ride a bit further.

Do note that the tyre tubes may not be in stock and are a custom Rad size - maybe invest in the Tannus tyre protection or order a spare set just in case.
Good recommendations, and the nice thing about the caboose is the double bars on the side. Kids will naturally hold onto the bars, and the second outer bar protects their fingers in case of an incident. The Tannus Armour inserts protect against most punctures, and they also smooth out the smaller bumps and cracks in the pavement.

ericwn

Quote from: Altema on October 24, 2021, 05:48:51 AM

Good recommendations, and the nice thing about the caboose is the double bars on the side. Kids will naturally hold onto the bars, and the second outer bar protects their fingers in case of an incident. The Tannus Armour inserts protect against most punctures, and they also smooth out the smaller bumps and cracks in the pavement.
That's good to know regarding the Tannus. I wonder what size tube I should look for on a wagon 4 when these are installed, any experience with them?

Altema

Quote from: ericwn on October 24, 2021, 06:06:49 AM
Quote from: Altema on October 24, 2021, 05:48:51 AM

That's good to know regarding the Tannus. I wonder what size tube I should look for on a wagon 4 when these are installed, any experience with them?
The size that Tannus sends when you order the bundle is 20 x 2.5-2.95. However, you can also use a more common 20 x 2.25 tube if you want. I've had mine for several months, and although I don't get punctures anyways for some reason (guardian bike angel?), I keep them installed because the bike is more secure at high speed. I know someone is going to ask, so I'll explain that by saying the foam makes the tire surface more compliant, and the tires stay in contact with the road better.

Cocoz

Be ready to wait for a long time for delivery. Ordered mine in July. They still don't have a clue about when I may receive it!