Author Topic: Comprehensive List of Accessories for Rad Power Bikes  (Read 205468 times)

Aston Martin

• View Profile
Re: Comprehensive List of Accessories for Rad Power Bikes
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2020, 02:13:15 PM »
New site offering RAD mods and eventually bike racks.  Less expensive that most and a little different application All at www.noliftebikeracks.com  Cheers...

hahaitsrichard

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2020, 03:32:49 PM »
Anyone know if that Sunlite Saddle would fit on a Radrunner with the Passenger Seat?

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 08:59:26 PM »
Accidentally sprayed g.t. 85 on to my brake calipers on my radrhino getting a terrible like crunching noise when i brake now. Will this go in time or have i done any dammage grateful for replys.

You may want to remove the wheel and brake pads, and clean the brake disc and pads with automotive brake cleaner. That should fix the noise and restore your braking power.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2020, 09:41:26 PM »
Great list Ryan! Are you trying to feed our addiction? Lol. My problem has been every accessory I wanted is unavailable from Rad, so I had to look for alternatives. Most important was a rack so I didn't really have a choice. I went with a West Biking "almost universal" rack, and it fits the RadMini 4 fine. It clamps to the seat post and has adjustable supports, but I made some custom one-piece supports for improved strength. It will firmly support 200 pounds now in it's modified form, but I have NO plans on doing that! It just carries my rack bag with tool, lock, and a light jacket, all of which weigh about 6 pounds.

My current necessities/accessories are:
Roam bike helmet with visor, goggles, and taillight.
West Biking rack mentioned above.
Zfal universal bottle holder, which works nicely on the handlebar riser for the RadMini which has NO bosses! Anywhere!
12 Oz one-handed Thermos which happens to fit the bottle holder.
Nit Ize Wraptor cellphone mount.
Bell two stage folding tire pump.
Bell large U-lock with cable extension (No theft warranty on e-bikes!).
Master level 5 cable lock for quick stops (restroom stops, coffee, etc.).
Sahoo 8 liter rack bag (love it!).
Satori Harmony suspension seat post.

I also got the Hafny small end mirror, but it was terribly distorted and I returned it for a refund.

The headlight upgrade was something I wanted after the first night ride. The stock light is nice and bright enough, but the beam pattern is too small. I purchased the Nitecore BR35 which can function and a lowbeam/highbeam headlight with a remote switch, but there is no part of the handlebars which is straight. So, I ordered a handlebar extender for acessories.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 06:46:28 PM »
Great list Ryan! Are you trying to feed our addiction? Lol. My problem has been every accessory I wanted is unavailable from Rad, so I had to look for alternatives. Most important was a rack so I didn't really have a choice. I went with a West Biking "almost universal" rack, and it fits the RadMini 4 fine. It clamps to the seat post and has adjustable supports, but I made some custom one-piece supports for improved strength. It will firmly support 200 pounds now in it's modified form, but I have NO plans on doing that! It just carries my rack bag with tool, lock, and a light jacket, all of which weigh about 6 pounds.

My current necessities/accessories are:
Roam bike helmet with visor, goggles, and taillight.
West Biking rack mentioned above.
Zfal universal bottle holder, which works nicely on the handlebar riser for the RadMini which has NO bosses! Anywhere!
12 Oz one-handed Thermos which happens to fit the bottle holder.
Nit Ize Wraptor cellphone mount.
Bell two stage folding tire pump.
Bell large U-lock with cable extension (No theft warranty on e-bikes!).
Master level 5 cable lock for quick stops (restroom stops, coffee, etc.).
Sahoo 8 liter rack bag (love it!).
Satori Harmony suspension seat post.

I also got the Hafny small end mirror, but it was terribly distorted and I returned it for a refund.

The headlight upgrade was something I wanted after the first night ride. The stock light is nice and bright enough, but the beam pattern is too small. I purchased the Nitecore BR35 which can function and a lowbeam/highbeam headlight with a remote switch, but there is no part of the handlebars which is straight. So, I ordered a handlebar extender for acessories.

Ha! My goal is to make the list that I wish I had when I first bought my RadWagon. How do you like the Satori Harmony suspension seat post? Do you feel like the Nitecore was worth the price? I really like the one I tested out from Planet Bike. 

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 03:08:42 PM »
Ha! My goal is to make the list that I wish I had when I first bought my RadWagon. How do you like the Satori Harmony suspension seat post? Do you feel like the Nitecore was worth the price? I really like the one I tested out from Planet Bike.

The Satori Harmony suspension seat post is ok. It's nice for smoothing out sidewalk cracks, but not enough for anything bigger. The geometry is not great for absorbing bumps either, but it does work. Another problem is that it's too short. I have it adjusted to the maximum height level, and my leg extension is still a bit too short.

The Nitecore light was definitely worth it, and I love being able to switch between low beam and high beam. I had to use a handlebar extension because there is no available portion of the RadMini handlebar that points straight ahead. If I could change something, I would design it with the low beam aimed lower, or more recessed so it has a lower cutoff point. As it is, I have to angle the light down so even the low beam does not get people in the eyes, and the high beam is aimed for the same spot, making it less useful. So what I do is keep it aimed low on the road, then adjust it higher for lonely trails. The other thing is that I'd hoped to charge it from my bike USB port, BUT, when you plug in a charger, the light turns off! So much for that idea, lol.

Despite those two issues, I do like it a lot, and it actually saved my bacon a couple night ago. We have a new trail following a major highway, but I found a secret access to the old bike trail on the other side. It's overgrown and no longer maintained, but I like it better. So I was trying out the new Nitecore light, and some wild animal came charging out of the woods and began chasing me! Needless to say, I used the throttle, and found myself going full speed on a dark overgrown trail through the woods, and if I had only the stock light, I probably would have crashed! So I do appreciate the light, and may experiment with adding a little 'brow" to block the top of the low beam.

Photos of the light, mount, and remote switch are below.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 03:15:45 PM by Altema »

Dave R

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 05:59:47 PM »
Hi Ryan, great job on the site.  For what it's worth, I was looking for the Suntour NCX (400mm) seatpost AND the red spring for riders over 180 pounds.  I couldn't find the spring at Amazon or elsewhere.. turns out that the Suntour site is very easy to deal with.. the post @ $109.95 and the spring @ $14.95 turned out to be $112.41 total which included a first time customer 10% discount.  Free shipping and no sales tax.   They shipped the same day I ordered it. 

https://www.srsuntour.us/products/copy-of-sp12-ncx-seatpost?variant=27528514371

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 05:49:28 AM »

the suntour seat post is available on ebay for under $100...

how

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2020, 03:55:31 PM »
I'd suggest Tannus tire armor for anyone wanting an extra level of bump absorption if they have fat tires. It also helps address a multitude of different causes for flat tires but the smoother ride from an extra internal layer of foam in the tire and the correspondingly lower PSI requirements are what I appreciate the most.

gopam

• View Profile
    • VROOM GOPAM
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2020, 12:25:07 PM »
Hi Ryan, great forum & this is a fabulous accessories/mod list. I'd like to get a suspension seat post. Can you help me determine some proper specs? I'm confused by the seatpost specs needed for the new RadWagon 4.

On the Rad Power site it states the RadWagon 4 Seatpost diameter is 34.9 mm

In your list here it says to get the 27.2

What are the dimensions I need to get? And do you have a link for a suspension seat post for the RadWagon 4?

Cheers!
https://bit.ly/2XkE9qz
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 06:12:27 PM by Ryan »
RadWagon 4 owner

YouTube Channel: VROOM GOPAM
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6TCUg_vMeH3P8OBSl_FFqw

gopam

• View Profile
    • VROOM GOPAM
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2020, 12:45:23 PM »
As I continue to research maybe I also need a seatpost shim?

But I'm wondering since the RadWagon 4 has a new unique smaller tire size with only 1 option to purchase which is the Rad Power Bikes, custom 22" x 3"Manufacturer: VEE Tire Co. 22

maybe the seatpost size is unique too?

Is there an option whether it be a suspension seat post or combo suspension seatpost with seat shim that will fit the RadWagon 4?

yikes.....

In the meantime I ordered the Sunlite Cloud-9 Bicycle suspension cruiser seat. I saw on Amazon that some RadWagon owners had a little trouble fitting it. I'm hoping for an easy install. I'll keep the forum posted on my mods. Thanks!!
RadWagon 4 owner

gopam

• View Profile
    • VROOM GOPAM
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2020, 12:59:14 PM »
okay another post from me as I google search haha.....

I'm seeing some people need to double shim!  They buy 2 shims to get the correct specs. Of course I can't find anyone doing this yet for a RadWagon 4

but as the RadWagon 4 website notes: the SR Suntour SP!@ NCX seatpost compatibility: ALL ebike models EXCEPT RadWagon 4

So if I understand correctly I need a 34.9mm suspension seat post. So therefore I might need to double shim!

I might need to look for shims that would be: 34.9 to 31.6 AND 31.6 to 27.2

Or maybe.....shims: 34.9 to 30.6 AND 30.6 to 27.2

As you can see I'm an excited NEW Rad Power bike owner. Trying to get my RadWagon 4 with a SWEET set up! I'll let you all know what I end up doing  8)

RadWagon 4 owner

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2020, 06:17:31 PM »
I'll cover this in an upcoming video, but the only suspension seatpost that *might* work is the Kinekt 2.1. You'll need the largest size they sell, the 31.6: https://amzn.to/34T9ogi

Then you can buy the 31.6 to 34.9 seatpost shim: https://cirruscycles.com/collections/parts-tools/products/seatpost-shim?variant=10558432903212

Again, I have not tried this myself and it's critical that you realize that you will be limited on adjustability. Hope this helps!

jasonash

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2020, 07:59:52 AM »
Hey GoPam,

For what it's worth, the Cloud 9 saddle is a perfect replacement for the stock seat on the RadWagon 4 and thus there is no need to replace the seat post.

You just need to completely disassemble the seat mount and replace the saddle portion.

Keeping the stock seat post allows the stock seat-adjustment range to be maintained, which is important to me as I am quite tall and my wife is on the shorter side.

You may not get as much shock absorption as a suspension seat post, but I find that the Cloud 9 is leaps and bounds better than the stock seat. I live in a small town with lots of brick-paved streets and the ride (while not perfect) is acceptable with this seat.

Here is the one that I purchased:

https://amzn.to/2TgAad6
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 05:47:04 PM by Ryan »

gopam

• View Profile
    • VROOM GOPAM
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2020, 04:06:22 PM »
Thanks for the info Ryan!  And Jason you're maintaining hero status with me big time!

I actually purchased the same cloud 9 seat as you. Yesterday I tried to install it but I couldn't budge the screw on the stock seatpost. These pictures are not the best quality but I think the stock seat post where it attaches to the seat is damaged? I'm thinking maybe the first bike owner swapped out the seat. But then swapped it out again to return the stock seat to the bike before selling it to me. I recall seeing a picture in the for sale ad with a different seat. And perhaps the seatpost got a little jacked? Unless you think in these images, the seatpost parts are just not properly aligned?

But either way, I couldn't even get the stock seat off! I have been healing from a torn thumb ligament so perhaps my hand strength is lacking. Maybe I'll ask my neighbor to give that screw a crank. But.....

I found this seatpost on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K7N3CC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have different size shims to order, so I ordered the  27.2 seatpost that comes with a 34.9 shim. I think it will work since the RadWagon 4 says 34.9 seatpost size on their website specs??!!

So my next plan is to mount the cloud 9 on the DJC Suspension seatpost. Crossing fingers it will work and be delightful.....I'll post my findings......

RadWagon 4 owner

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum