News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

rad battery cell count or voltage off the charger

Started by ejonesss, September 02, 2020, 02:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

ejonesss

has anyone cracked open a rad battery and how many series cells are there in the newer rad batteries?

or has anyone taken a volt meter to a battery fresh off the charger or to the charger?

because will the rad motor and controller handle a 14s battery?

The Samsung 35E batteries are rated for 3.5 amps with a nominal voltage of 3.6 so I would say the batteries are 4p 14s. They could save a little by only going 13s but I haven't thrown a volt meter on one. The one extra s isn't going to make much difference since the controller is only 750 watts might add an extra couple of miles.

RadJohn

"Normal" lithium ion (NOT LiFePo4), 48 Volt nominal, ~13.5-14 Ah shark or dolphin cased Ebike batteries are 13S 4P and are typically charged to 54.6V

14S battery packs are rated as 52 Volt nominal and are usually charged to ~58.8V.

It would NOT be a good idea to hook a 14S battery pack up to a standard Rad controller, but Boltons controller will supposedly handle it.

ejonesss

Quote from: RadJohn on September 02, 2020, 07:37:52 PM

It would NOT be a good idea to hook a 14S battery pack up to a standard Rad controller, but Boltons controller will supposedly handle it.

what happens will the 14s blow the controller or is there intermittently over volt shutdowns due to maybe inductance kick back.

RadJohn

Quote from: ejonesss on September 03, 2020, 08:34:26 AM...what happens will the 14s blow the controller or is there intermittently over volt shutdowns due to maybe inductance kick back...

Beats me, and I'm not going to risk blowing my controller or my warranty to find out. If you do it, let us know after a month or so of use. For all I know it could overload the flux capacitor, or something...

ejonesss

update:

i just got my radwagon 4 assembled and using multi meter measured the battery and charger voltage it is 54.6.

there are 2 ways to get 54.6 volts

1. 13s charged to 4.2 volts

2. 14s charged to 3.9 volts.

without opening up the battery to count the cells i have no idea what way rad does it of course there is a warranty sticker the warranty would not be easily claimable anyways because.

the shipping rules for batteries makes it that consumers can not ship batteries and it would be too costly for manufacturers to provide pre generated shipping label and battery shipping kit (an ebike company tried that and it failed).

and rad probably would not dare void a warranty since the magnus and moss act makes it criminally illegal for a company to void a warranty.

however i was able to find a youtube video where someone built a 13s5p battery using a hailong battery enclosure kit of similar size and shape (looks like rad  probably commissions hailong to make battery and proprietary connectors and slaps the rad name on it).

so it looks like rad batteries charges 13s to 4.2 volts.

se-riously

Quote from: ejonesss on May 25, 2021, 07:42:13 AM
without opening up the battery to count the cells i have no idea what way rad does it of course there is a warranty sticker the warranty would not be easily claimable anyways because.

See this post from DickB with photos included.

https://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=1025.0

JTK77

Rad 48V Battery 13s4p Samsung 35e.
Controller is with 63v caps and higher fets.
52V battery is ok.

DickB

Quote from: ejonesss on May 25, 2021, 07:42:13 AM
the shipping rules for batteries makes it that consumers can not ship batteries and it would be too costly for manufacturers to provide pre generated shipping label and battery shipping kit (an ebike company tried that and it failed).
From the USPS:

"Customers can take to their local Post Office packages containing lithium batteries installed in electronic devices that are bound for many international destinations, and Army (APO), Fleet (FPO) and Diplomatic Post Office (DPO) locations. For information on specific country restrictions, please see the Postal Explorer or the Individual Country Listings of the International Mail Manual.

"Lithium batteries can be shipped domestically, including Alaska and Hawaii. Different requirements apply to domestically-shipped rechargeable lithium batteries than on international commercial air transportation. See Section 349.22 at https://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52c3_027.htm for USPS' requirements regarding domestic transportation of lithium batteries."