News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Walk Mode

Started by TallyRad, May 14, 2021, 05:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

TallyRad

I have heard of walk mode. Is it available on Rover and if so how do you activate it?

Altema

Walk mode is activated by holding down the minus button on the control. It takes a few seconds to activate (for safety), and is fairly brisk if you are on pavement. 

santacruzpaul

Quote from: Altema on May 15, 2021, 10:51:31 AM
Walk mode is activated by holding down the minus button on the control. It takes a few seconds to activate (for safety), and is fairly brisk if you are on pavement.

On my 2021 Radrover 5, I can control the walk speed from 0 to 5 with the PAS setting, I usually use PAS 0 for the smallish hills here,  PAS 3 to 5 is a very brisk pace. It shows on the watt meter too.
Paul

Altema

Quote from: santacruzpaul on March 25, 2022, 12:33:17 PM
Quote from: Altema on May 15, 2021, 10:51:31 AM

On my 2021 Radrover 5, I can control the walk speed from 0 to 5 with the PAS setting, I usually use PAS 0 for the smallish hills here,  PAS 3 to 5 is a very brisk pace. It shows on the watt meter too.
Paul
Wow, I never knew it was adjustable. Thanks for the info!

Ddaybc

Santacruzpaul, thank you for the information. In another thread JimInPt confirmed that walk mode does work with PAS 0. We are both of the opinion that walk mode is brisk but he wasn't testing it for speed, rather he just wanted to see if it worked on PAS 0. I'm going to try it today on PAS 0 as PAS 1 is too brisk for me.

Ddaybc

Today I spent some time on my bike getting it ready for summer riding and checking out the speed of walk mode on PAS 0. The PAS 0 does work, even on my RW4, so I'm mostly happy. It's still too fast for me but I can use it although sparingly.
FWIW I only had one bolt/nut combination loose and that was one of the spoke skirt bolts for the rear wheel. Overall it was put together well and I'm very happy with my RW. I would like more traction on the tires for spring time muddy trails though.

JimInPT

Quote from: Ddaybc on March 26, 2022, 10:04:24 AM
Santacruzpaul, thank you for the information. In another thread JimInPt confirmed that walk mode does work with PAS 0. We are both of the opinion that walk mode is brisk but he wasn't testing it for speed, rather he just wanted to see if it worked on PAS 0. I'm going to try it today on PAS 0 as PAS 1 is too brisk for me.

I'd never heard it was adjustable either - thanks, santacruzpaul!  I need to try that next time bike is out. 
Ddaybc, did you notice a difference in walk-mode speed at various PAS settings, or are they all similar?
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Ddaybc

JimInPT, yes there is a difference in walk mode speeds with PAS 0 the slowest. With some practice I think I can actually use PAS 0 walk mode so if my bike breaks down (flat tire etc.) I'll be more able to get it home.  :)
I tried the first three levels of PAS from 0 to 3. PAS 3 was way too quick for me so that's where I stopped testing.

JimInPT

Thanks for the details, Dday.  When I tested PAS 0, I just leaned it up on the kickstand and didn't even think to try other settings, assuming "walk mode" was walk mode, programmed into the controller at a fixed speed.

Eric7

I'll test the speed on my Rad Mini ST 2.

I haven't used the walk mode much but I assumed it was for steep hills and when the going gets tough.  Something like 4 mph is too much for me under those conditions.  I would prefer a walk mode closer to 2 mph for going up stairs, rough patch of trails etc.

JimInPT

Quote from: Eric7 on March 31, 2022, 01:33:28 PM
I'll test the speed on my Rad Mini ST 2.

I haven't used the walk mode much but I assumed it was for steep hills and when the going gets tough.  Something like 4 mph is too much for me under those conditions.  I would prefer a walk mode closer to 2 mph for going up stairs, rough patch of trails etc.

I'll be interested to hear what you say.  Now I'm starting to think that maybe "walk mode" isn't a certain speed (variable with PAS) but a certain wattage, and that for a given PAS setting it might slow down doing a hill or stair-climb vs. the speed on a level surface.   My touch of recovering-engineer OCD just won't let this go, along with a thousand other bits of trivia rattling around in what's left of my brain.

John Rose

Next time I'm on some level asphalt I'll have to try different PAS levels for walk mode on my RadExpand 5 and RadMini ST2. I've only ever noticed that it's too fast to comfortably walk alongside of, and for short stretches. When I need to I just give it a little tap with the throttle.
It never occurred to me to just sit on the bike and ride it in walk mode to get a stable speed reading.

Ohhhh yeahhhhh . . . Walk Mode!

All the cool kids are doing it.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

JimInPT

Quote from: John Rose on February 23, 2024, 07:52:40 PM
All the cool kids are doing it.

I wish my bike had a tiller.

Naranja_CT5+

In Canada it's called ehBike