Author Topic: Topeak adapter  (Read 10501 times)

mlutz962

• View Profile
Topeak adapter
« on: July 30, 2020, 06:47:55 PM »
Has anyone used this Topeak Omni quick adapter rack on a Rad Runners bag rack. I want to use a Mxt Topeak bag and not have to pay over a hundred for the MRI Denver adapter one, Thanks. https://amzn.to/33li26v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:56:41 AM by Ryan »

wkindred

• View Profile
Re: Topeak adapter
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 09:40:34 AM »
mlutz962 -

strange you should ask as i started this very project last night! actually pretty easy even though i've had to fabricate a couple "shim blocks" and bottom locks. total cost including omni quicktrack adapter is around $30.

mount is complete (see below).

setup works great! shim blocks make for a secure fit - keeps rack in perfect center alignment with no movement, shaking or rattling.

...and is quick-release - you can install or remove by just tightening or loosening 2 nuts!

- will
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 08:51:23 AM by wkindred »

Andy Finney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 02:01:49 PM »
Found this while looking for the same solution. Based on how it fits on the RadCity (which is what my bike is) I think I could use a set of stainless steel screws from the top and then a small EMT aluminum half-round bracket, washers and two locknuts. Can't wait to try it myself as soon as my QuickTrack adapter arrives.

Check out the review by Uglider at the link below for pictures of using zip-ties which made me think about the above solution.

https://amzn.to/3vmKTDv
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 08:19:17 AM by Ryan »

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 07:32:22 AM »
Those mounts used to be hard to find. Nice to see them back! One thing to note. At some point someone at Topeak decided to change the mounting tracks. So my old, still mint basket will not fit in the new mount. As long as you buy everything together you'll be fine.

Andy Finney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 09:26:41 PM »
My Topeak rail arrived the other day.  Here is my method for attaching the Topeak adapter rail to the rack on my RadCity ST.

I started with 2 of the smallest EMT brackets which you can pick up at your local hardware store. I used some Romex insulation as the rubber pad between the bracket and the rack. I had some scrap aluminum that’s about 1/8 inch thick that I cut into 5/8 in x 3 in strips to be used as a plate to bridge the ridges underneath the Topeak adapter. I drilled a hole in the middle of the plate the same size as the screw. I used the original screw and a locknut to secure it to the frame.

The front EMT clamp needs to be modified slightly. I had to cut about 3/16 of an inch off of the end of the EMT bracket that curves around the rack pipe. This pipe is smaller than the rear pipe we will use which also requires that you bend the clamp a little to make it fit tighter around the pipe. Cut a piece of the Romex insulation to fit the interior of the bracket. Clip the bracket to the underside of the rack crossmember with the hole pointing to the rear of the bike. Place the plate on top of the EMT bracket aligning the holes and then the Topeak rail adapter. Insert the screw and secure with the locknut. I won’t kid you - it takes a little fiddling to get everything to line up but you can do it. A little longer screw would have made the job easier.

The rear bracket needs to have it’s hole elongated in order to allow the screw to pass through as things don’t naturally line up. Since this crossmember of the Rads rack is larger, no need to adjust the width of the clamp. You may need to elongate the hole in the aluminum plate as well. Add a piece of Romex insulation and attach. The last three pictures show the rack mounted from the top, clamps underneath and the bag attached.

Hope this helps some of you out there looking at the more expensive options. $18 for the Topeak adapter and ~$1.50 for the rest of the parts. Chances are you can get the EMT clamps for free if you know an electrician.  :)

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 10:59:24 AM »
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS OPTION > the "Cascade Manufacturing Rack Deck Plate Compatible with MTX for Rad Power Bikes" available on Amazon -

https://amzn.to/3poQc2v

...or available from the manufacturer -

https://www.cascademanufacturing.com/collections/recreational/products/rad-topeak-bag-adapters

i "upgraded" the topeak "omni quicktrack adapter" to the cascade manufacturing "rack deck plate compatible with mtx for rad power bikes" on my radrunner 1. i had to use my own bolts, washers and lock nuts since the frame on the radrunner 1 is not threaded to accept the stock hardware. the cascade rack deck plate doesn't have the quality or smooth finish seen in the mri-denver deck plates - lots of rough edges...

after installing and removing my topeak dx bag from the cascade deck plate several times I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND the deck plate unless you plan to leave the mtx bag permanently attached. every time you install or remove the mtx bag the rough un-finished edges of the cascade deck plate track shaves plastic off the fixing device used to attach the mtx bag to the deck plate (see photos below). the light flecks in the photos are bits of plastic shaved from the mtx bag's fixing device...you can also see how rough the "sawtooth" edges of the deck's track are.

i'm returning to amazon, and as stated prior, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND the "cascade manufacturing rack deck plate compatible with mtx for rad power bikes" unless you plan to leave your mtx bag permanently attached!

going to re-install my topeak omni quicktrack adapter...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 05:53:21 AM by wkindred »

alshead

• View Profile
Topeak adapter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 06:42:09 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. I adapted the Omni adapter similar to what Andy did, but drilled a couple of holes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SergeL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 10:23:48 PM »
Found this while looking for the same solution. Based on how it fits on the RadCity (which is what my bike is) I think I could use a set of stainless steel screws from the top and then a small EMT aluminum half-round bracket, washers and two locknuts. Can't wait to try it myself as soon as my QuickTrack adapter arrives.

Check out the review by Uglider at the link below for pictures of using zip-ties which made me think about the above solution.

https://amzn.to/3vmKTDv

Zombie thread, I suppose, but still!

Thanks for this tip, this is just the ticket for my RadMini rear rack. I am experimenting with various ways of keeping the plate centered.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 10:23:48 PM »